The end of the High Holiday season signals the opening of the 30th annual Intermountain Jewish News-Doris Sky Chanukah Coloring Contest.
Chanukah begins the evening of Dec. 24. Deadline for entries in the contest is 1 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 13, 2016. IJN’s address is 1177 Grant St., Suite 200, Denver, CO 80203.
Since its inception, the contest, for children in kindergarten through sixth grade, has attracted and brought together children from all corners of the Jewish community. Through the years it has encouraged creativity and artistic expression of the fun aspects of Chanukah as well as its serious message.
The contest is named in memory of Doris Sky, who served as IJN managing editor, 1962-1990. She was instrumental in creating the contest several years before her death.
Many children create their entries at home while others work on them as part of class work in their day schools or supplemental religious schools.
Winning entries in each of the grade categories — K-1, 2-3 and 4-6 — will be published in the Dec. 23, 2016, IJN Chanukah edition.
Although winners are determined in each age category, the name of every child who enters the contest will be recognized in the IJN Chanukah edition. Winners in each category will be awarded certificates.
To enter, simply follow these requirements:
- Give your artistic interpretation of Chanukah on an 8 1/2”x11” sheet of paper.
- Use any colorful medium — markers, crayons, watercolors, pencils, paper collage — whatever you want; however, no glitter or confetti, please!
- Art created on a computer must be printed on an 8 1/2”x11” sheet of paper.
- Art must be original. Entries created from kits will be disqualified.
- Three categories: 1.) Grades K-1; 2.) Grades 2-3; 3.) Grades 4-6.
- All artwork must be a child’s own work.
- Each entry must be accompanied by the contestant’s name, age, address, school, synagogue affiliation (if any) grade and phone number on a separate sheet of paper, attached to the entry.
Do not write your name on your entry.
Judges are not allowed to know the identities of the artists.
Entry forms will appear in the IJN beginning next week.
Information: Larry Hankin, (303) 861-2234 or email@example.com.