The 22nd annual IJN Doris Sky Chanukah Coloring Contest is officially underway.
Deadline for entries in the contest is 5 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 3, 2008.
The contest, for children in kindergarten through sixth grade, attracts and brings together children from all corners of the Jewish community.
Through the years it has encouraged creativity and artistic expression of the fun aspects of Chanukah as well as its serious message.
Many children create their entries at home while others work on them as part of classwork in their day schools or supplemental religious schools.
Winning entries in each of the grade categories K-1, 2-3 and 4-6 will be published in the Dec. 19, 2008, IJN Chanukah edition.
Although winners are determined in each age category, the name of every child who enters the contest is published as a recognition in the IJN, said IJN Editor and Publisher Miriam Goldberg.
The contest is named in memory of Doris Sky, who served as IJN managing editor, 1962-1990. She was instrumental in creating the contest several years before her death.
Simply follow these requirements:
- Give your artistic interpretation of Chanukah on an 8 1/2x11 white sheet of paper.
- Use any colorful medium markers, crayons, watercolors, pencils, paper collage whatever you want. However, no glitter or confetti, please!
- Art must be original. Entries created from kits will be disqualified.
- Three categories: 1.) Grades K-1; 2.) Grades 2-3; 3.) Grades 4-6.
- All artwork must be childs own work.
- Each entry must be accompanied by a separate piece of paper including the contestants name, age, address, school, synagogue affiliation (if any), grade and phone number. Attach the separate paper to the entry. Do not write your name on your entry.
- Deadline: All entries must be in the IJN office by 5 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 3. The IJN address is 1177 Grant St., Suite 200, Denver, CO 80203.
- Winners will be announced in the Dec. 19, 2008, Chanukah edition of the IJN.
- Prizes: Winners in each category will be awarded plaques in a special ceremony.
Information: Larry Hankin, (303) 861-2234.